What exactly does a movie producer do? How much input do they have on casting, locations, and all the creative choices that make a movie what it is? To answer some of these questions and much more, my guest on this episode of Hometown to Hollywood is Wendy Japhet. Wendy is a producer of films, for both the big screen and TV. She is best known for producing The Italian Job, An Education, The Brothers Bloom, I’m Not There, Disney Descendants, and Descendants 2.
Wendy Japhet shares her story—which begins with her passion for dance, and a degree in English Literature– and she provides great insight into the challenging, creative world of production, including some great stories from Descendants and Descendants 2. Join us!
Some of my favorite quotes:
- “Movies are stories… and I loved storytelling.”
- “I’m a big believer in working toward your own strengths.”
- “I see the EP role as being the person on set who has the heart of the movie in mind.”
- “Part of the joy for me in doing Descendants and Descendants 2 is I love the kids.”
- “I always wanted to work with Kenny Ortega. It took me 30 years, but I got there!”
- “Each movie has it’s own life, it’s own reality, it’s own vibe.”
- “All our dancers in Descendants 2 are Canadian. And we had 40 dancers.”
- “You have to not be intimidated by how many things are happening at the same time.”
- “It gives me a lot of satisfaction to make a good movie that I’m proud of.”
- “I think some of the discipline of being a ballet student translates to me through my whole life.”
- “Usually, creative people find each other.” Click To Tweet
Wendy Japhet is not on social media but you can see some of her amazing projects on IMDb HERE.
Look for Descendants 2 on multiple platforms July 21st!
Wendy started her career path as a dancer, and that path eventually led her to producing. But the discipline and lessons she learned through dance stayed with her and helped her be a better producer. I think acting training is similar– no matter where your life takes you, that confidence and discipline will serve you!
Pursuing the career of a professional actor is never easy, but it can be easier if you understand how it all works.
I offer consulting services for parents of young actors, or for young adult actors. A single hour with me can answer your questions, including questions you didn’t know you had, and provide an action plan to get you moving toward that dream.
If you’d like some help figuring out your next move, schedule a Skype consultation with me HERE. I look forward to talking with you!