My guest on this episode of the Hometown to Hollywood podcast is Patrick Day.
Patrick is a veteran acting coach, and director of Young Actors Space, an acclaimed acting school in Los Angeles. Young Actors Space offers classes aimed at students from age 5 on up. They also offer workshops, on camera audition technique, dialect classes, and individual coaching.
Young Actors Space was founded in 1979, and has launched a huge number of successful young actors, including Leo DiCaprio, Emma Stone, Jessica Biel, Miranda Cosgrove, Hillary Duff, Tobey Maguire, Lucy Hale, Shailene Woodley, Sabrina Carpenter and Karan Brar.
Patrick and I cover a wide range of topics, including what he thinks accounts for the extraordinary high success rate of their students, their approach to acting, the school’s motto, advice to auditions and self-tapes, their summer intensives, advice for parents of young actors, and much more.
Some of my favorite quotes from our conversation:
- “The goal is to make the Improv look like the written word, and make the written word to seem as if it’s improvisation.”
- “Analyze, personalize, memorize. Relax, listen, and react.”
- “Most actors tend to rush. If you can take your time, you’ll put yourself ahead of the competition.”
- “The casting director is not an enemy. They have chosen to meet you.”
- “Everybody can learn from everybody.”
- “Read. Read out loud. Get used to reading out loud.”
- “Find a kindred spirit, and start creating content.”
- “That next person that says ‘yes’ can change your whole career.”
- “Life is an Improv.”
Follow Patrick Day and Young Actors Space HERE:
The word “support” came up numerous times during our conversation, and this is because SUPPORT is the greatest contributing factor to a young actor’s success. However, it’s hard to really support your kid in their dream of becoming an actor when you don’t exactly know how to do that! This is where I can help. Book a consultation with me over phone, Skype, or in Los Angeles. A single session can give you peace of mind and a detailed action plan. I look forward to talking with you!