My guest on this podcast episode is master Hollywood acting coach and talent manager, Marnie Cooper.
Marnie has been teaching acting, and coaching clients for over 25 years, and works with kids, teens, and adults. Her clients include Mila Kunis, America Ferrera, Miley Cyrus, Syler Samuels, Olivia Holt, Jennette McCurdy, Braeden Lemasters, Danielle and Kay Panabaker, Taylor Momsen, Paul Dano, Brenda Song, Ashley Argota, Leelee Sobieski, Ella Anderson, and many more.
She teaches beginner through master classes as well as private coaching in her studio in Studio City, California. Marnie also does on-set coaching, and works with actors via Skype and Facetime all over the world. She is also the author of Teaching Kids to Act for Film and Television.
Some of my favorite quotes from our conversation:
- “Acting is one of the only professions where you don’t want your hard work to show.”
- “If I coach you well, they should think you’re not coached.”
- “They want you organic. And whatever you do to get organic is what they want you to do.”
- “Even if you’re wrong for the role, I highly recommend you go in.”
- “You can be a great actor and a bad auditioner, and never work a day in your life.”
- “There is no great, horrific thing that is going to happen if you blow your audition.”
- “Bring a notebook to the audition and journal from the character’s point of view in the waiting room.”
- “Be off book. Every time you look down is a moment you’re not present.”
- “Acting is a wonderful experience every child should have, but not necessarily professionally.”
- “You need to get comfortable being uncomfortable.” Click To Tweet
Follow Marnie Here:
Buy her book on Amazon here:
I agree with Marnie– Not everyone who loves to act should be a professional actor.
But if your kid or teen has their heart set on it and you want to help them have their best chance at that dream, I can help you raise the odds of their success. Investing in a single consultation with me can save you years of time, thousands of dollars, and give you peace of mind.
If you’re ready for some help getting started, or are already down the road but looking to get un-stuck, schedule a Skype or in-person consultation with me today. We’ll cover the issues where you know you need help, as well as some issues you may not even be aware of!
Did this post help you? Share it with someone who would enjoy it! Thanks!