Today my guest on the Hometown to Hollywood podcast is Marcie Smolin, acting coach and co-founder of The Actors Circle.
The Actors Circle is one of the top acting studios for film and television studies. They provide film and television workshops for actors of all ages and abilities in their Los Angeles studio. They provide weekly classes in film and television technique, private coaching, taping for auditions, and semiprivate and corporate specialty workshops.
Their actors have gone on to win Emmys, Oscars, Tonys, and even a Grammy!
Marcie covers SO much great stuff for actors, that this is a must-listen episode.
Some of my favorite quotes from our conversation:
- “Be good. Work hard.”
- “The most important thing is to be good. It’s not the only thing.”
- “There’s no formula for being a good actor.”
- “It’s OK to take acting class, even if you’re not an actor.”
- “You have one job. You want people to believe you.”
- “The more you say something out loud, the more you find the nuances.”
- “You have enough friends. Do not make them in the waiting room.”
- “If you can hear people auditioning in the next room, don’t let it change your choices.”
- “If your child wants to be an actor, the first thing to do is get them into class.”
- “Student films are great. I’m a big believer in them.”
- “Work begets work.”
- “When you walk into casting, don’t shake someone’s hand unless they offer it first. And don’t wear perfume.”
- “Don’t let your emotional happiness be dependent on what auditions you got this week.”
- “Enjoy your life every step of the way… everybody is on a different path.”
Find Marcie Smolin and The Actors Circle HERE:
Marcie shares so much great wisdom in this podcast episode! And as she says, there is no formula for being a good actor. And there is no formula for being a successful actor. BUT– there are ways to increase your odds of both, and save a lot of time and money and anxiety along the way. If you’d like to cut through the confusion and get a jump start on your career, or your child’s career, schedule a consultation with me. In a single session, I can answer your most burning questions, and make you a detailed an action plan. Schedule a Skype. phone, or in-person session today: https://bonniejwallace.com/consultations/ .