My guest on this episode of the Hometown to Hollywood podcast is Los Angeles acting teacher, Judy Kain, founder of the award-winning Keep it Real Acting Studios.
Judy Kain is also the author of I Booked It!, host of the podcast, Hollywood Game Changers, and an actress with over 400 commercial credits, and over 110 film & TV credits.
We cover a range of important subjects for aspiring actors, and focus especially on the commercial end of the field. Judy shares her wisdom on auditions, self-tapes, mindset, training, and much more.
Some of my favorite quotes from our conversation:
- “I feel that commercials are a little mini movie.”
- “Commercials are directed by film directors—almost 90%.”
- “The trap with an actor is they think the more they do, the better it will be. That’s not the case.”
- “Less is more. Keep it real.”
- “Incorporate that camera into the scene. Make it part of your fourth wall.”
- “You can do commercials ‘til you’re 99 years old.”
- “There is work everywhere.”
- “It’s the Catch-22 of being an actor; it’s an art form, but you can’t really practice it by yourself. You need other people.”
- “You can go to the gym by yourself, but you can’t act by yourself.”
- “If you really want to make it as an actor—whatever ‘make it’ means to you—you will find a way.”
Find Judy Kain and Keep it Real Acting Studios HERE:
Find Judy Kain’s podcast and book HERE:
Podcast: Hollywood Game Changers
There are so many surprises on the journey toward becoming a professional actor. So many aspects of the industry that make no sense from the outside… but make total sense from the inside!
If you need some help figuring it all out and cutting through the confusion, book a consultation with me. In 60 or 90 minutes, I can help you with all your questions, and answer questions you may not even know to ask.
No one can promise you success, but the more you understand about how it all works, the more you tilt the odds in your favor. I look forward to talking with you!