My guest on this episode of Hometown to Hollywood is film and TV producer Jessica Rhoades.
Jessica has produced many diverse film and TV projects, including Cold Case Files, Eye Candy, Young and Hungry, Cloud 9, Spectacular!, and Beauty and the Briefcase. She is currently producing Sharp Objects starring Amy Adams for HBO, and has two pilots lined up to produce this fall—Tremors for SyFy and Run for Your Life for USA.
Jessica is thoughtful and generous with her insights, and this podcast is worth a listen for anyone interested in just about any aspect of the entertainment industry.
We discuss what makes for compelling work in film and TV (casting, chemistry, a sense of attachment to the character) new directions in TV, what it takes to succeed, and so much more. Join us!
Some of my favorite quotes from this interview:
- “Showrunners have the control in TV that people attribute to directors in film.”
- “Chemistry is real. It’s either there or it’s not.”
- “I want to attach to the character, and I want to root for them.”
- “Have they made this character come off the page—but not so far that it doesn’t feel real?”
- “I think you have to believe your character, fundamentally.”
- “Surround yourself with people you can trust.”
- “If you can log 10,000 hours, you’ll be better than you are after only 10 hours.”
- “Be willing to do the work. Everything is experience.” Click To TweetLook for Sharp Objects coming soon on HBO.You can follow Jessica on social media HERE:
Instagram: @JessicaRhoadesI loved this conversation because Jessica’s personal wisdom is so apparent through her professional wisdom. Her experience as a mom is a part of her approach as a producer because she is a whole person—and that is how Hollywood really works. This is an industry of very real people, doing their best to create work that can both entertain but also create meaning.Hollywood can seem like an impenetrable, opaque mystery—but it is made up of hardworking, creative people like Jessica. If you (or your kid, if you’re a parent) feel called to be part of this creative tribe as an actor and are looking for help in breaking in, set up a consultation with me. A single hour can set you going in the right direction, save you from some awful mistakes as well as save a lot of money—and give you peace of mind. Just go to my Consultations page, and schedule a session with me at the bottom of the page. I look forward to talking with you!