In addition to Dumplin’, where Danielle starred with Jennifer Aniston and Dove Cameron, Danielle is best known for her breakout role in Patti Cake$; she is next scheduled to be in Bird Box, with Sandra Bullock. Her work includes appearances on Glee, Pretty Little Liars, 2 Broke Girls, American Horror Story, and The Middle.
We talk about how Danielle got her start, what it was like to land in Hollywood at 18, the crazy way she got her managers and her work visa (she’s from Australia), her thoughts on the industry, and much more.
Some of my favorite quotes from our conversation:
- “You learn so many bits and pieces from so many different people on every set.”
- On reps: “It’s really about finding the people you trust and want to do this for the long-haul with.”
- “You go on a set and know no one; you’re around 100 different people, and you don’t have your people there… that’s something you learn to be OK with.”
- “Sometimes you just have to be OK with being uncomfortable.”
- “You have your own journey. And you just need to follow it.”
- “Some experiences will be better than others and that’s OK.”
- “You’re allowed to have your own method, and you do not have to agree with every teacher you have.”
- “You don’t want to beat yourself up if you have a bad audition, because they happen.”
- “If you feel like you’re not understanding a character, get help from someone you trust.”
- “You don’t want to change who you are as a person, but it’s crazy to think you’re not going to grow as a human.”
- “You have to get over your self-doubt.”
- “If you don’t give up, something goes your way eventually.”
Follow Danielle HERE:
If you enjoyed hearing Danielle’s story and her advice, you should check out my new book, Young Hollywood Actors, on Amazon!
It features interviews with Dove Cameron, Cameron Boyce, Thomas Doherty, Sarah Jeffery, Jessica Marie Garcia, Booboo Stewart, Brenna D’Amico, Garrett Clayton, Joey Brag, Victoria Moroles, Dylan Playfair, and Luke Benward (who incidentally played Danielle’s love interest Bo, in Dumplin’-!)
And if you’re ready for some one-on-one help, book a Skype consultation with me. In 60 or 90 minutes, we can cover a huge amount of ground and set you up with a personalized action plan. Start the New Year right—take action to follow your dream, so another year doesn’t go by. A dream without action is just a wish. A dream WITH action can move mountains.