Today my guest on Hometown to Hollywood is Brooke Byler of the Brooke Byler Acting Studios, which provides classes for young actors aged 4-17, from beginning to advanced levels, as well as self-taped auditions and voiceover services. The studio is in San Diego County, and the majority of her students are working in Los Angeles.
We talk extensively about auditions! Brooke has some really excellent advice on this subject and so much more.
Some of my favorite quotes:
- “You have to be a good listener to be an actor. All of this comes in handy in school.”
- “Fully commit! The only way you can go wrong in an audition is to hold back.”
- “If you’re really passionate about something, you find a way to make it work.”
- “There are principles to being funny. There is structure and technique to being a good improvisor.”
- “The camera watches you think.”
- “Nothing in real life is perfect. Why would we try to impose perfection on ourselves?”
- “Tension is an actor’s worst enemy.”
- “Make sure that whoever you’re getting advice from is reputable, and that it’s reputable advice.”
- “Focus on one goal per audition.”
- “This industry is a marathon, not a sprint.”
- “Enjoy this journey, and use it as a training ground for life.”
Find Brooke Here:
Are you thinking about how to help your child become an actor? Or are you a young actor yourself?
Buy my book, The Hollywood Parents Guide, on Amazon. It contains everything I wish I’d known when Dove and I started this journey, and will save you untold amounts of time, money, and stress. Full of information you MUST know, it also features stories from parents of other kids who’ve made it!
Or book an hour consulting with me to come up with an individualized plan that takes your own unique needs into account. For about the cost of an hour with a professional acting coach, you can get your questions answered and a road map to help you move forward toward your dream.
Invest a little in your future today.